Shimmering Kingdoms FATE
The Greenbonded are an ancient race of humans, and get their name from the mystical connection they have with the natural environment. To most of the non-Greenbond citizenry in the land, the Greenbonded are nothing more than roving vagabonds who live by trading with and performing for the populace. Usually part of a Greenbond house, tribe or camp, they travel the faire and festival circuits, and wander the wilderness. They are considered barbarians and outcasts by the Noblesse, and even the Seitsmen and other less civilized humans treat them with fear and disdain.
The Greenbonded patrols travel in packs of 30 or so mounted men, provoking gawking stares and rude comments as they pass by. When a troupe or clan advances from town to town, they usually travel in brightly painted carts and wagons, which are a part of their flavorful culture. They often set camp outside a town or village for weeks at a time, while their patrollers forage the wilderness seeking game and other resources for their tribe. The Greenbonded are well known for their strange Gypsy-like music and dances, as well as for oral performances of the history of the world as they see it. Most people distrust the Greenbonded, because their culture is very different from other, ‘decent’ people. Greenbond ways are strange to outsiders, and poorly understood by most. Many members of this race have been persecuted by the Pantheist League, and the Church often charge them with heretical practices, or promoting heresy in word (if not deed). No matter where or when a Greenbond is seen, there will always be mutterings by superstitious individuals regarding the practices of necromancy and diobolic rituals.
In actuality, the race of the Greenbonded are self-appointed protectors of the land, with a history that predates even the ancient Barutherans. They maintain several base camps, not unlike tent cities, deep within the wilderness. From there they appoint members of their race to patrol the wilderness, who search out and destroy agents of evil and corruption.
The support teams in their wagons and carts set up in areas that can support such a group, and teams of patrollers rove the wilderness and cities alike, using mystical racial abilities, knowledge and training, to detect and destroy anything that poses a threat to the natural balance and the harmony of the land itself.
Being a hot-blooded people, rivalries form, and enmities exist between Greenbond camps. Though blood is rarely spilled, fiery competition borne of old hatreds, means many a brawl finds its way into the various camps and patrols. They see themselves as the protectors of all other races, above their petty political squabbles. As such, the Greenbonded try not to involve themselves with the affairs of the Noblesse. They hear the scornful remarks as coming from those who are “obviously unenlightened,” and usually ignore such comments, unless the antagonists threaten the safety or wellbeing of the tribe. In such cases, the problem is solved swiftly and force is used only as a last resort.
The Greenbonded are fiercly loyal to their race, and relationships with non-bonded races are looked upon with utmost disdain, and frequently when a youthful Greenbonded dallies with an outsider, the outsider and the youth are physically separated and never allowed to see each other again. Such are the ways and customs of the Greenbonded.
Most Greenbond adults possess an ability to sense the health and well-being of the land by use of a special ability called Greensense that only Greenbonded adults possess, Green beng to all physical things, including life, much as we might suppose spirit to be to body – essentially infusing yet other than it. The members who possess this ability may project their senses to determine the heath of any life essence within the range of their ability. Greensense may also be used to aid in determining the health of living creatures, and some Greenbonded have learned to match their own Green with that of others so as to aid in the healing process. Moods and truth may also be sensed in others, although any with Greensense may tell if they are being probed. The Greenbonded may dampen one’s own Green to become undetectable by others who possess a similar ability.
Among Greenbond humans, the knife or dagger is a favorite weapon, as it is easily concealable. Swords and axes are also used. They don’t recognize the notion of ‘civilized’ weaponry, and thus don’t usually carry rapiers and like weapons. They never use polearms or most two-handed weapons. Greenbonded usually always wear Kûrbúl armor, if they wear armor at all. Kûrbúl is the Bondtongue word for armor made from leather treated by boiling, lacquering, and/or other processes to produce a resilient, semi-flexible plate. They disdain the use of shields.
Greenbonded love to wear gaudy jewelry and colorful scarves and clothing, and both men and women wear their hair long and elaborately braided with ribbons that have cultural significance. Each family outwardly strives to earn enough in trade to make or buy a Greenbond cart or wagon, for which their people are renown.
There are secrets known only to the Greenbonded, ancient rites, skills and magical paths. Certain individuals of this race learn to wield the life energies, and are able to sing enchanting songs, heal the sick and wounded, and even craft mystical objects which they use in their battle against all things unnatural and corrupt.
Greenbond Racial Traits:
• Suggested Aspects: Aspects relating to the character’s Greenbonded bloodline, gypsy upbringing, etc.
• Suggested Stunts: TBA
• Clan Ties: The Greenbonded have a strong bond to their tribe. They are loyal to each other and can always count on one another at all times. A Greenbond will always have refuge when needed, and the tribe can count on them in time of need. This applies to all members of the Greenbond’s house, and all allied or friendly houses. This is considered an Allegiance. In addition, Greenbonded can invoke one of the camp’s situational Aspects for free, once per month, which apply to all skill checks while engaged in activities within their camp. Additionally, once per month, the Greenbond my use the camp’s resources skill level in place of their own when trying to acquire something. The resources and camaraderie in the Greenbond camp is unrivaled.
• Shunned: Greenbonds are misunderstood and distrusted. They suffer hatred and intolerance from the Noblesse, and are treated with caution or outright feared by the Seitsmen. The Greenbonded stigma can be compelled (and invoked), causing you to suffer penalties to social interactions. Noblesse are particularly prejudiced against the Greenbonded, gaining a free boost once per scene against the Greenbond. This is unless the Greenbonded in question is successfully disguised. Deceive checks may also be required. Also, each Greenbonded are considered to have enemies with at least one rival Greenbond camp, house or tribe. This rivalry might be an individual, or the entire clan. This Blood Feud is considered a Complication, and makes for a fair Aspect. You may also consider the Outlaw Complication as an Aspect, granted by your Greenbond Character’s social status, meaning this rivalry will remain in the background until your outlaw status has been resolved.
• Greenbond Native Language: Bondtongue (the ancient language of the Greenbonds).
• Greenbond Learned Languages: Most all (except the clan teachers) are illiterate. Greenbond patrollers (and the performers) are taught the Common tongue. Greenbond humans rarely have need to learn any other language, for they keep their interactions with the other human races to a minimum.
• Live Off the Land: Being gypsies and vagabonds, starting Greenbonded characters start with only one Wealth Stress box.
Greenbond humans hail from every major kingdom in the Isles.